Skip to main content

How to be SINGLE, for morons

  How to recover after you had your heart broken - how to be SINGLE, for morons.

1. Run. I run like a freaking maniac, every day breaking records. I run on rain, I run on snow - as long as there is someone screaming in my ears, I keep on going.
2. Eat. I nurture myself with lots of good, delicious, healthy, but mostly unhealthy foods. Whenever one of my friends asks me what is happening with me, I simply answer that I ran a lot, so now I must eat, I don't want to lose any of my precious kilos, it's all about balance, right?!
3. Sleep. Guilt-free sleep is a luxury I rarely afford - nevertheless, these days I sleep. All the time, I close my eyes and I let my mind do the trick for me and make my life prettier.
4. Drink a glass of wine with the good food you are preparing for yourself. You obviously deserve it, but don't do vodka shots! Forgetting all about it for one night sure sounds tempting, but remember you have to wake up in the morning to the same ugly truth. Better learn to live with it, gasp it all in.
5. Don't wear make up.  For half a year or so, my face has been full of pimples - I think my face looked prettier even when I hit puberty than it does now. I've been trying my best to hide it - but, guess what? These days I completely don't care. There is absolutely no one out there who I would want to like me for my face rather than my personality - I admit, I like looking pretty, but make up on or not, it's still me, same Georgiana, nothing changes. The irony is that us, girls, try so hard to look so pretty for a certain boy, the same boy that will see us without any make up in the morning, anyway!
6. Give yourself a break from dating. I've been single for the past 3 months now and it has been the longest period in my life ever since I started dating. 10 years ago. To be fully honest, for a girl who takes pride in being a complete introverted, I am having trouble in being single. It gives me a constant slight discomfort: I am no longer waiting for someone to call me, I am no longer playing memories of kisses in my mind. I, no longer, imagine scenarios of future encounters, I have no butterflies in my stomach. I feel a billion different things than I did before - and I have to admit, it is difficult, but I also must remember that no matter how hard or lonely I might get, the embarrassing truth is that I am not emotionally prepared for being in a relationship. I never was. Hooking up is easy - maintaining a healthy relationship not so much. I realize now that the main problem in my past relationships was not a lack of love from their side - it has always been my inability to love and to accept myself and I should definitely not jump into another relationship before I figure out how to live happily with Georgiana. Just the two of us. No threesomes this time.
7. Wear comfy clothes and watch lots of television. I have a soft sweater - I call it "not a sweater, but a hug". Indoors, I wear their sweaters - it helps me accept the fact that, in spite of doing despicable things, there were times when they were real. Honest. Brutal. Like the time when they didn't think twice before giving you their sweater, even if that meant they would freeze.
8. Get naked in front of the mirror. Don't shave for a few days, let it be as natural as possible, watch your body as if you are doing it for the very first time. What do you see? How is it possible that so many men loved it while you completely hate it? Were they all blind or is it just you who is blind enough not to realize you are truly beautiful, that every inch of you tells an unique story, that you are part of the Perfection?
9. Listen to that song that hurt you the most, the song that you couldn't stand listening to.  Listen to the song that played when he last drove you home and never bothered to call again. Close your eyes, conquer the anxiety and get your ass back in the front seat of his old car. What was the conversation about? How was he feeling? How were you feeling? Remember everything, remember the long loving goodbye kiss. You didn't have any idea it would be the last kiss - or did you? Yes, you are now a wreck because of him, but weren't you the happiest girl alive also because of him? Remember the good parts. Remember his genuine smile when he held you close in his sleep. Remember the three hours long conversations under the shower, remember how he pushed you so hard out of your comfort zone. Don't keep only the bad memories, you should know by now that there are no such things as good or bad people. If he made you happy, if he made you evolve and grow bigger - be grateful. If you made him happy, if he could sleep without bad dreams because you were there to kiss his back - even if it was for a month or just for a night - be grateful. Don't deny yourself the good memories. Let it be enough to reach the truth that lies/Across this new divide.

Comments