Skip to main content

Cliche

  Growing up in Southern Europe, you end up with the strong belief that nordic coutries are sort of Narnia. You know there are Denmark and Sweden and whatever, but in your mind everything is just a big Laponia, whose king is no other than big old Santa Clause. So when last days we celebrated children's day in Japain and we gave every child a free icecream, my boyfriend said: "What if the child is too small to eat icecream?". Naturally, I replied:"There is no such thing! This is Denmark!!! Only the strong survive, these kids are being fed icecream instead of milk! Only the strong survive!"
   But I am not ignorant, nor stupid, so chill, dear Danes. There is not my intention to insult you or your beautiful all year around rainy weather(there, I did it again!!). Au contraire, I simply find it fascinating that the weather here is actually the opposite to what I thought before coming here.
  Firstly, I am that kind of person that is freezing all the time and only 30 degrees can satisfy me. When I say this, I mean it. So when I first came here, I bought myself a big huge expensive jacket-that kind of jacket that you would sweat in it even if you were to climb the freaking Everest. I grew up believing that people are freezing to death in this country, that George Martin made a good portret of the nordic countries when he wrote about the Land beyond the Wall and the White Walkers( you also imagine all Danes as White Walkers - tall and rather white than blonde - but you end up finding that most of them simply aren't.) You also grow up knowing that, when winter time, if you let your mother's hand go, they will never find you again.(so big the snow gets in Romania.) Then, when you become a young lady, you read about old people from villages that get stuck for weeks in their houses, under the snow,starving to death and there are of course also the qipsies who knock at these people's windows to sell them a bread for 10-15 lei.(it normally costs less than 2lei, I believe, maybe even less than 1.) They of course don't have money and if one of them happen to die of cold and starvation and age, the body stays in the house. For weeks. It happens every goddamn year.
So normally if this happens in the South, if we feel it's still fall unless we have less than minus 20 degrees,I can only imagine that in Dk the jacket I mentioned would be perfect. But no. Here they don't drop under minus 10. Rarely under minus 5.
  Secondly, you know what summer really is, dear Danes? Summer is when you will get third degrees burns if you get out in the house between 11 and 16, when you sufocate in your own house, summer is when the news talk only about how the hospitals are full with people falling in the middle of the street because of the heat. Summer is when you are young and you run in the intense summer showers that last only half an hour. Summer is when you are driving and you have no idea how to do it because of the almost melting leather wheel. Summer is...hm...let's just say that 30 degrees feel almost as a blessing in July and August.
  So I am not complaining about the weather in Denmark. It's temperate, one day sunny, one day rainy, never too cold, never too hot. It's the perfect weather to write, perfect weather to meditate. So, scooba-dooba-dap-dap-di-di-die(wtf?!) I love you, rainy Denmark!

Comments